Safe Driving


To maintain safe driving following 7 points are required as a minimum -

1 - Planning business trip -
Based on location, need to organize the trip to travel safely and arrive on time.
For this reason followings have to ensure
n  Consult a road map to know the route and foresee distance have to drive
n   Drive less than 10 hours in one day
n   Drive less and work less than 14 hours a day
n   Comply with the journey management plan, if drive more than 4 hours one  way
n   Take a road map even if have a GPS
n   Consult road traffic website to avoid obstruction and anticipate any delays
n   Check weather forecast to be prepared in case of bad weather

Preparing your trip will save you time and avoid stress


2 - Driving safety rules –
Before taking the wheel, need to review the following rules and ensure that:
n  Have valid driving license
n  Keep vehicle’s paperwork (identification, insurance, etc.)
n   If taking medication, ensure that it doesn’t  have a drowsiness effect
n   Respect the road traffic rules and company rules if applicable
n   Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs
n   Ensure that vehicle is in proper working condition
n   Complete the checklist before leaving
n   If involved in any road incident / accident, immediately inform superiors

3 - Checklist before leaving
Y  N  N/A
Employee
o o
Do I feel fit for driving?
o o o
If I am under medical treatment, did I check the drowsiness effect of my medicines?
o o
Do I have my valid driver’s license?
MY vehicle
o o
Do I have the vehicle’s paperwork?
o o o
Do I have all other required documents (when transporting chemical products, ionizing radiation equipment)?
o o
Is my high visibility jacket in the car?
o o
Is all car equipment in good shape (tires, mirrors, lights, etc.)?
o o o
Is all legal safety equipment in the car (e.g: triangle)
o o o
If any material is transported, is it secured?
Y  N  N/A
Employee
o o
Do I feel fit for driving?
o o o
If I am under medical treatment, did I check the drowsiness effect of my medicines?
o o
Do I have my valid driver’s license?
MY vehicle
o o
Do I have the vehicle’s paperwork?
o o o
Do I have all other required documents (when transporting chemical products, ionizing radiation equipment)?
o o
Is my high visibility jacket in the car?
o o
Is all car equipment in good shape (tires, mirrors, lights, etc.)?
o o o
Is all legal safety equipment in the car (e.g: triangle)
o o o
If any material is transported, is it secured?

If “No” must not take the wheel.  Must  implement appropriate measure(s) 

4 - On the road –
Before leaving, verify that seat belt is fastened as well as those of passengers, if any
On the road, adopt preventive driving
n  If drive more than 2 hours, take a 15 minute break every 2 hours
n   Drink regularly to avoid dehydration
n   Remain calm in all situations
n   Always maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front of me (2 seconds distance)
n   Before overtaking, ensure can do it safely and don’t forget to check blind spots
n   Avoid phoning even with a hands free kit

After the journey, if identified any deficiencies on the vehicle, take necessary measures to resolve them.

Respecting these recommendations can save your life!

5 - Taxi or public transport –

TAXI
Before entering, need to check:
n   General state of the vehicle
n   Availability of safety belts
n   And show taxi card before departure
n   Avoid the front seat if possible

During the journey, if necessary, ask the driver to:
n   Slow down
n   Stop phone call
n   Keep safe distances
n   Avoid front seat

PUBLIC TRANSPORT
n   Put seat belt on
n   Hang on to avoid any falls
n   Avoid the front seat if possible

If do not feel safe at any time of journey, get out if possible


6 - In case of an accident –
If involved in an accident:
1) Put hazard flashing lights and wear high visibility jacket before leaving the vehicle
2) Protect the victims (if any)
3)  Help the victims (if any) if certified for first-aid care
4) Call emergency services
5) Call professional contacts (refer to point number 7)

In case of an accident, keep calm as much as possible. It can save lives


7 - Professional contact(s)
Examples of situations involving an emergency stop:
n  I am injured;
n  I am involved in a driving accident;
n   I witnessed an accident with injured people;
n   I cannot see the road because of weather conditions (e.g: strong rain, sand storm, etc.);
n   My car stopped for an unknown reason.

Call the superiors to inform them about the situation

Notify about the situation only when in a safe place



Comments